Monday, October 31, 2011

This Has Been Bugging Me

Quite a while ago, I came across a dialog, which I'll list below, between two unknown entities. I've been trying, off and on, to figure out what the source of the quote is. To that end, I'm asking if anyone who reads my blog to share this knowledge with me, if they have it. Here's the quote:

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause]
"Friend!"

1 comment:

Harvey said...

I Googled it, and I noticed that - unlike most quotes, it's never quoted from memory. It always appears verbatim.

I also noticed that it appears too conceptually self-contained to have come "from" a larger work.

My suspicion is that it's an original sig line.

The earliest occurrence noted by Google was a messageboard post by Maynar on 12-26-04:

http://www.moutardier.net/boards/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2644

Your mission - track down Maynar and ask him where he got it.